Today's photo of comet NEOWISE and auroras over Duluth, Minnesota, USA, was taken by Beth Colyear on July 24, 2020 (posted on Spaceweather.com)
Astrological Overview: July 27 - August 2, 2020
Astrologer Pam Younghans writes this weekly astrological journal based on planetary influences, and offers perspectives and insights to assist you in making the best use of current energies. This column is not intended as prediction. Your own experience will be more specifically defined by transits to your personal chart.
Highlighted Aspects for This Week
All times listed are Pacific Standard Time. (For Eastern Time, add 3 hours; For Greenwich Mean Time, add 7.)
MON: Jupiter sextile Neptune, Venus quincunx Jupiter, Venus square Neptune, Mercury square Mars, Sun sesquiquadrate Neptune
TUE: Mercury opposite Pallas Athene, Mars square Pallas Athene
THU: Mercury opposite Jupiter, Mercury trine Neptune, Venus quincunx Pluto
FRI: Sun semisquare Venus, Sun trine Chiron
SAT: Mercury opposite Pluto, Mercury square Eris
SUN: Sun square Uranus, Venus semisquare Uranus
IT'S ANOTHER very active week astrologically, with more than a few twists and turns in the road. But we begin the week with a lovely Jupiter-Neptune sextile on Monday that can provide some moments of peace amidst the turmoil, helping us focus our attention on the stillpoint within.
Jupiter and Neptune both have a connection with the sign of Pisces; before Neptune was discovered in 1846, astrologers gave Jupiter rulership of the twelfth sign. Jupiter is now known as the ancient ruler of the sign, and Neptune is the modern ruler. As such, the two planets have an affinity with each other, and work together well when given the opportunity.
JUPITER represents our capacity to seek meaning, to believe in something greater than ourselves, and to risk the unknown and unfamiliar. Neptune symbolizes our ability to transcend duality, to rise above mundane perspectives, and to experience the Oneness of creation. In action, Jupiter magnifies, while Neptune sensitizes. As they link together, we can make significant progress on our spiritual path or in a creative endeavor, and our life philosophy can become more compassionate and heart-centered.
The influence of the Jupiter-Neptune sextile is our companion throughout 2020, with the aspect being exact to the degree on February 20, July 27, and October 14. As these two Piscean rulers collaborate on our behalf, we have the opportunity to access greater inspiration and creativity, and to experience the grace of Divine intervention, if we set our intention for these. A sextile aspect such as this indicates an unlocked door with great potentials on the other side – but as agents of free will, we must choose both to open that door and to walk through it.
BACK ON THE FARM, the dramas continue to unfold over the week ahead. Most of the challenging aspects involve the planet Mercury; this means that on a personal level, our mental state and our ability to convey and receive information are affected. But, there is much playing out on the physical stage as well, with both Mars and Eris being activated, and in relationships, with Venus also caught in the tangle.
Get The Latest From InnerSelf
Here's the play-by-play of the highlights (and lowlights):
- Mercury square Mars: Irritations, angry words, feelings easily hurt, defensiveness. Be aware of a tendency to react rather than respond.
- Venus square Neptune: Disillusionment in relationships, lack of clarity, tendency to play rescuer or victim. Also possible financial uncertainty or impracticality. Be aware of a tendency to see only what you want to see in a loved one or in your bank balance.
- Mercury opposite Pallas Athene, and Mars square Pallas Athene: Impatience interferes with our abilities to reason, to speak clearly, and to truly listen to what another person has to say. Battles between the individual and the system. Be aware of a tendency to resist an idea simply based on who proposed it. Take your time in all communications. Breathe.
- Mercury opposite Jupiter and trine Neptune: One of the blessings of the week! Our conscious mind (Mercury) is more able to access the energies of the Jupiter-Neptune sextile today. Give yourself the gift of time spent in meditation or a creative project, and be open for insights.
- Venus quincunx Pluto: A need for an attitude adjustment, especially in regard to relationships. Be aware of ways in which you or others try to manipulate or coerce friends and loved ones. Understand that it is impossible to "make" someone see your point of view. Accept others for who they are, and appreciate the passion behind their words, even if you don't agree with the words themselves.
- Sun semisquare Venus and trine Chiron: Once we overcome the obstacle of needing appreciation and approval from others, we can access the healing energies today. The benefits include a boost of self-confidence and renewed fulfillment through personal creativity and self-expression.
- Mercury opposite Pluto and square Eris: This is a tough one. People are very passionate and defensive, and may not be thinking clearly. It's hard not to feel the tension and anger in mass consciousness now, even if we choose not to dwell in the news cycle. Do your best to release what is not yours. Utilize these energies in a positive way, to make important shifts in your own life as needed, and to discover your deeper truth. Try saying this affirmation, provided by Peggy Black and her 'team': "All energy that does not belong to me, I send it back blessed and transformed. All energy I’ve sent forth, I call it back blessed and transformed."
- Sun square Uranus, Venus semisquare Uranus: A day of surprises, on many levels. The rebel within us is strong, and refuses to follow the rules or to be contained or restricted. This is not a good day to try to mend bridges, but rather one in which to perceive what new directions your life is guiding you to take. Ask the restlessness within you to help you see what you are ready to do next. But, also be aware that reactivity is strong today, and do your best to use reason in all decisions.
As you can see, we have our work cut out for us if we want to stay in balance this week! All the more reason to imagine walking through that Jupiter-Neptune door, and to ask for help in maintaining a higher perspective and an open heart in all circumstances.
IF YOUR BIRTHDAY IS THIS WEEK: This year of uncertainty is an especially powerful one for you, dear Leo. You are experiencing deep changes in your self-concept, and in how you approach a certain area of your life experience. In this area, you will be feeling very restless and even irritable, and quite impatient with circumstances that are not to your liking. It may be time for some major changes, if you find that you have been basing your choices on whether others will approve of you. There's a strong "I've got to be me" vibe about your personal new year. It will teach you a lot about who you really are, while challenging you to live even more authentically. (Solar Return Sun semisquare Venus, trine Chiron, square Uranus)
LAST CHANCE! You can still purchase the video replay, monthly calendars, and slideshow for my "Transmutations & Rebirth" webinar! The class covered the last six months of 2020, including the all-important Jupiter-Saturn alignment in Aquarius in December. To learn more, please send an email with "Webinar Replay" in the subject line to [email protected], and I'll reply with next steps.
For previous weeks of the Astrological Journal, click here.
About the Author
Pam Younghans is a professional astrologer, editor, and writer. She lives in a log home northeast of Seattle, Washington with her beloved animal companions. She has been interpreting charts professionally for over 25 years. If you are interested in an astrology reading, e-mail [email protected], or leave a message at 425.445.3775. For more information about NorthPoint Astrology offerings, please visit northpointastrology.com or visit her Facebook page.