Making a "treasure map" is a very powerful technique, and fun to do. A treasure map is an actual, physical picture of your desired reality. It is valuable because it forms an especially clear, sharp image which can then attract and focus energy into your goal. It works along the same lines as a blueprint for a building.
You can make a treasure map by drawing or painting it, or by making a collage using pictures and words cut from magazines, books or cards, photographs, drawings, and so on. Don't worry if you're not artistically accomplished. Simple, childlike treasure maps are just as effective as great works of art!
Basically the treasure map should show you in your ideal scene, with your goal fully realized.
CREATING EFFECTIVE TREASURE MAPS
Here are some guidelines that will help you make the most effective treasure maps:
1. Create a treasure map for a single goal or area of your life, so that you can be sure to include all the elements without getting too complicated. This enables the mind to focus on it more clearly and easily than if you include all your goals on one treasure map. You might want to do one treasure map for your relationships, one for your job, one for your spiritual growth, and so on.
2. You can make it any size that's convenient for you. You may want to keep it in your notebook, hang it on your wall, or carry it in your pocket or purse. I usually make mine on light cardboard, which holds up better than paper.
3. Be sure to put yourself in the picture. For a very realistic effect, use a photograph of yourself. Otherwise draw yourself in. Show yourself being, doing, or having your desired objective -- traveling around the world, wearing your new clothes, or being the proud author of your new book.
4. Show the situation in its ideal, complete form, as if it already exists. You don't need to indicate how it's going to come about. This is the finished product. Don't show anything negative or undesirable.
5. Use lots of color in your treasure map to increase the power and impact on your consciousness.
6. Show yourself in a real setting; make it look believable to yourself.
7. Include some symbol of the infinite which has meaning and power for you. It could be an "om" sign, a cross, Christ, Buddha, a sun radiating light, or any thing that represents universal intelligence or God. This is an acknowledgment and a reminder that everything comes from the infinite source.
8. Put affirmations on your treasure map. "Here I am driving my new hybrid gas and electric car."
Be sure to also include the cosmic affirmation, "This, or something better, now manifests for me in totally satisfying and harmonious ways, for the highest good of all concerned."
The process of creating your treasure map is a powerful step toward manifesting your goal. Now just spend a few minutes each day quietly looking at it, and every once in a while throughout the day give it a thought. That is all that's necessary.
Some Sample Ideas for Treasure Maps
Here are a few possible ideas for treasure maps to stimulate your imagination:
Show yourself radiantly healthy, active, beautiful, participating in whatever activities would indicate perfect health.
Weight or Physical Condition
Show yourself with your perfect body, feeling wonderful about yourself (cut a picture from a magazine that looks like you would look in your perfect condition, and paste a photo of your head on the body!). You can make statements with balloons around them coming out of your mouth like in cartoons, to indicate how you are feeling, such as, "I feel wonderful and look fantastic now that I weigh 125 pounds, and am in great physical condition."
Self-Image and Beauty
Show yourself as you want to feel about yourself... beautiful, relaxed, enjoying life, warm and loving. Include words and symbols that represent these qualities to you.
Put photos of yourself and your friend, lover, husband, wife, family member, or co-worker in your treasure map, with pictures, symbols, and affirmations showing that you are happy, loving, communicating, enjoying a deep, wonderful sexual relationship, or whatever is appropriate and desirable for that relationship.
If you are looking for a new relationship, find pictures and words that represent qualities you desire in the person and the relationship; show yourself with the ideal person for you.
Job or Career
Show yourself doing what you really want to do, with interesting, agreeable co-workers, earning plenty of money (be specific about how much you want), in the location you desire, and any other pertinent details.
Use symbols, colors, and pictures that indicate your creativity is really opening up. Show yourself doing and manifesting creative, beautiful, interesting things and feeling great about them.
Family and Friends
Show members of your family or friends in totally harmonious, loving relationships with you and each other.
Show yourself wherever you want to be, with plenty of time and money to enjoy your location.
And so on. You get the idea. Have fun!
Reprinted with permission of the publisher,
New World Library. ©2002, 1995, 1978.
Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
by Shakti Gawain.
About the Author
SHAKTI GAWAIN is a pioneer in the field of personal growth. Her other best selling books include Living in the Light, The Path of Transformation, Developing Intuition, and Creating True Prosperity. She leads workshops internationally, and lives in Mill Valley, California, and Hawaii.