You can never be free of bitterness as long as you continue to think unforgiving thoughts. How can you be happy in this moment if you continue to choose to be angry and resentful? Thoughts of bitterness can't create joy. No matter how justified you feel you are, no matter what "they" did, if you insist on holding on to the past, then you will never be free. Forgiving yourself and others will release you from the prison of the past.
When you feel that you're stuck in some situation, or when your affirmations aren't working, it usually means that there's more forgiveness work to be done. When you don't flow freely with life in the present moment, it usually means that you're holding on to a past moment. It can be regret, sadness, hurt, fear, guilt, blame, anger, resentment, or sometimes even a desire for revenge. Each one of these states comes from a space of unforgiveness, a refusal to let go and come in to the present moment. Only in the present moment can you create your future.
Holding on to the Past?
If you're holding on to the past, you can't be in the present. It's only in this "now" moment that your thoughts and words are powerful. So you really don't want to waste your current thoughts by continuing to create your future from the garbage of the past.
When you blame another, you give your own power away because you're placing the responsibility for your feelings on someone else. People in your life may behave in ways that trigger uncomfortable responses in you. However, they didn't get into your mind and create the buttons that have been pushed. Taking responsibility for your own feelings and reactions is mastering your "ability to respond." In other words, you learn to consciously choose rather than simply react.
Difference Between Forgiveness and Acceptance
Forgiveness is a tricky and confusing concept for many people, but know that there's a difference between forgiveness and acceptance. Forgiving someone doesn't mean that you condone their behavior! The act of forgiveness takes place in your own mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person. The reality of true forgiveness lies in setting yourself free from the pain. It's simply an act of releasing yourself from the negative energy that you've chosen to hold on to.
Also, forgiveness doesn't mean allowing the painful behaviors or actions of another to continue in your life. Sometimes forgiveness means letting go: You forgive that person and then you release them. Taking a stand and setting healthy boundaries is often the most loving thing you can do — not only for yourself but for the other person as well.
Freedom of Choice: Happiness is a Choice
No matter what your reasons are for having bitter, unforgiving feelings, you can go beyond them. You have a choice.
You can choose to stay stuck and resentful, or you can do yourself a favor by willingly forgiving what happened in the past; letting it go; and then moving on to create a joyous, fulfilling life. You have the freedom to make your life anything you want it to be because you have freedom of choice.
Get The Latest From InnerSelf
POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS: FORGIVENESS
• THE DOOR TO MY HEART OPENS INWARD. I MOVE THROUGH FORGIVENESS TO LOVE.
• TODAY I LISTEN TO MY FEELINGS, AND I AM GENTLE WITH MYSELF. I KNOW THAT ALL OF MY FEELINGS ARE MY FRIENDS.
• THE PAST IS OVER, SO IT HAS NO POWER NOW. THE THOUGHTS OF THIS MOMENT CREATE MY FUTURE.
• IT IS NO FUN BEING A VICTIM. I REFUSE TO BE HELPLESS ANYMORE. I CLAIM MY OWN POWER.
• I GIVE MYSELF THE GIFT OF FREEDOM FROM THE PAST, AND MOVE WITH JOY INTO THE NOW.
• I GET THE HELP I NEED, WHEN I NEED IT, FROM VARIOUS SOURCES. MY SUPPORT SYSTEM IS STRONG AND LOVING.
• THERE IS NO PROBLEM SO BIG OR SO SMALL THAT IT CANNOT BE SOLVED WITH LOVE.
• I AM READY TO BE HEALED. I AM WILLING TO FORGIVE. ALL IS WELL.
• WHEN I MAKE A MISTAKE, I REALIZE THAT IT IS ONLY PART OF THE LEARNING PROCESS.
• I MOVE BEYOND FORGIVENESS TO UNDERSTANDING, AND I HAVE COMPASSION FOR ALL.
• EACH DAY IS A NEW OPPORTUNITY. YESTERDAY IS OVER AND DONE. TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF MY FUTURE.
• I KNOW THAT OLD, NEGATIVE PATTERNS NO LONGER LIMIT ME. I LET THEM GO WITH EASE.
• I AM FORGIVING, LOVING, GENTLE, AND KIND, AND I KNOW THAT LIFE LOVES ME.
• AS I FORGIVE MYSELF, IT BECOMES EASIER TO FORGIVE OTHERS.
• I LOVE AND ACCEPT MY FAMILY MEMBERS EXACTLY AS THEY ARE RIGHT NOW.
Reprinted with permission of the publisher,
Hay House, Inc. ©2004. www.hayhouse.com
I Can Do It: How to Use Affirmations to Change Your Life
by Louise L. Hay.
In this concise yet information-packed book - which you can listen to on the enclosed CD or read at your leisure - bestselling author Louise L Hay shows you that 'you can do it' - that is, change and improve virtually every aspect of your life by understanding and using affirmations correctly to give you the confidence to attain the wonderful, joy-filled life you deserve.
For more info and/or to order this book, click here. Also available as a Kindle edition.
About the Author
LOUISE L. HAY (1926-2017) was a metaphysical lecturer and teacher and the best selling author of numerous books, including You Can Heal Your Life and Empowering Women. Her works have been translated into 26 different languages in 35 countries throughout the world. Louise was the founder and chairman of Hay House, Inc., a publishing company that disseminates books, audios, and videos that contribute to the healing of the planet. Louise passed away peacefully in her sleep on August 30th, 2017..